Saturday, April 2, 2011

Shimmer Spray Tutorial

I promised I'd tell everyone how to make my shimmer spray.  There's tons of youtube videos on "homemade glimmer mist" but here's how I made mine. 

You need:
spray bottle (hobby lobby in the art section has these) (I think it's a 4 oz bottle, I'm not sure)
metallic paint
water
white elmers glue
pearl-ex (not necessary, but adds extra shimmer)


Take spray bottle and fill 2/3 of the way with water.  Add 1/4 tsp glue and about 1" of paint in your choice of color.  more paint = more color.  add a heaping 1/8 tsp of pearlex and add cap.  shake until it's all mixed up.  spray on paper or flowers, etc. either air dry or heat-set with embossing gun.

you will need to throughly shake it up every time you use it, but glimmer mist costs around $5/ bottle.  this is at least 2x that size and per bottle to make, cost me $.50.   Now, if your'e not going to use TONS, don't make tons.  I have 5 colors right now in my arsenal and I plan on making about 6 more. 
I have peridot, champagne, white, red, gold, and a peacock blue.  I plan on making silver, pink, purple, yellow, orange, and black.  (can you imagine the black sprayed on a black for a super elegant or even halloween look????) 

The shimmer spray can be used on just about anything, but be careful.  as it's acryllic paint, it WILL paint your clothes and/or table and get everywhere.  I use an old shoebox and spray inside of that.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful tutorial. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! Thank you for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower! I'm now following you! Love your amazing blog.

    Hugs,
    Patty
    creativediva98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Patty! :) People would be amazed at how easy some things are to do! Your blog is awesome. mine's still under construction, but glad you're here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I haven't made mist with acrylic paint!
    I made my own mist with Distress reinkers ink + powdered pearls + water in a small spray bottle.

    ReplyDelete