Saturday, April 23, 2011

CD holder

My hubster and I bought a new  used car yesterday.  We got the Toyota Sienna.  I refuse to call it a minivan, it's a sport utility van.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Well, it has a CD player in it.  (I know, welcome to the 90's right?)  and I wanted to make something that would keep all of my CD's in one place. :)  How very organized mom of me.

Guess what, so far I haven't used one cricut cartridge!  I may in the future to embellish it, however as of right now, I didn't.   Isn't it snazzy??  oh- and I recycled! :)  Keep reading, and I'll show you how to do it.

Snazzy, huh?

Okay, here's what I used:
5 sheets of 12x12 cardstock.
3 sheets of decorative paper.
3 binder rings (came in a pack of 100 from Office Depot)
1/4" elastic.
2 eyelets.
crop-a-dile
CD sleeves (found at biglots, however you could make these! easily!- in fact, I'll come up with a tutorial for them later)
ATG gun.  You will use more than you think.

Okie dokie, so here's what I did:

Cut the 12x12 paper in 1/2 to get 6x12.    fold in half to make 6x6.  them together to make one giant book.   you can see what I mean by this:


After they're together, I took my Crop-a-dile on teh 3/16 size and punched holes 1/2" in on the folded side at 1, 3 and 5 inches. 



I recycled a granola bar box (from Sam's club) to make the outer book covers at 6 1/8" square.  (just barely bigger than the pages.)  I covered them by paper measuring 7" for the outter edge, and 5 3/4" for the inner flap. (seen here)

I held up one of the inner 6x6 squares in the center of the cover and punched 3/16" holes in them too. 

you're smart, you can figure it out.



Okay, so I took 1/4" elastic (have TONS left over from when I was making diapers for my son- I'm a cloth mama saving 4 grand!) and measured it around 3/4 of the book.   On the back, I punched out 1/8" holes (again from the crop-a-dile) and threaded the ends of the elastic through the front to back.  So, on the outside of the back cover, I pushed it through to the inside and added the eyelet and squeezed everything in place.  Repeat for the other side.  This is what that looked like.:

Tada!


Fill with CD's and you're good to go!

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful and creative! And I love that you used recycled materials! Awesome :)

    http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! :) I made one a few months ago for all of my Christmas CD's, but this time added elastic. it worked out pretty neatly! :) I'm happy with it. coolest part: you can make it as big or small as you want!

    ReplyDelete